Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This Week's Happenings

I am LOVING the Hanen class I'm taking. This week the focus was on keeping routines for playing, going to bed, etc. very consistent so the kids can participate. Also important was the language used when performing these activities. Because Pup is often watched by grandparents and is home with Daddy during the day, I want the language they use with him to be consistent. Since Danny isn't able to come to the class with me and is at work for a lot of the therapies, I started making a book to illustrate how to play with his toys. I figure I can take this book with me to whomever is watching them so their play can be meaningful to him. Is this too anal?
Here is a sample of what a page might look like. There is a pic of the toy, it's purpose, vocabulary to use when playing it, and the routine for playing it. Must be the teacher in me.

Wow...so much to say. We've been busy. Nephew Hank the Tank celebrated his year birthday. I can't believe my sister's son is already a year. I remember how excited I was when I learned we were pregnant at the same time- that our two babies would grow up together. Henry is the cutest baby (besides mine of course) and is so smart. Here's a shot of him with Pup in his birthday regalia.

This pic was taken at my mom's house where in her traditional fashion we had a pre birthday birthday party- complete with picnic lunch, kiddie pool, bubbles, and ice cream. The next day was a swim party at Pop Pop and Mimi's house.
Juliana wanted Hank to have a "doctor's office toy" so we got her one. She commonly sees these toys in doctor's offices (I see them in banks) so that's what we call them.

Here's Jules with a painting AJ made for Henry. He wrote Henry's name at the top with prompting by me of course, but I am quite pleased with how many letters he can write. He called this "Patio With Tree."





The next day we ventured into Westlake for a family drive and impromptu picnic at The Landing. I believe my next big purchase will be a pontoon boat! haha






On Monday AJ had a playdate with his preschool girlfriend Ysa. She is adorable, and I just love her mother who happens to be a doctor who sees a lot of kids with developmental issues. It's amazing to know someone like that especially with fragile x in your life. I kept Pup in his stroller at first, but then realized that he will only be as independent as I let him. He does love the swing so we did that first. I let him play in the sand (which he tried to eat), and he crawled through the tunnel on the playground. Ysa's sister is 16 months and the gap is astounding to me, but my little guy had fun in his own way, and I need to just realize that he is who he is, and I need to just let him be. I think it'll be a little easier when he is walking. God, I hope that day comes quick! He laughed and giggled at the girls climbing all over the gym equipment. I'm so glad I took him out of the stroller. I think I do it to protect him as I don't want others wondering what's "wrong." I know at some point people will stare or ask. And although I know that's not a big deal, I just never thought I'd ever have to do that.
















And the BEST day lately has been AJ's first day back at preschool. He's one of the "big boys" now as it his 2nd and final year before kindergarten. I'm so proud. Although at the end of the day, when all the other kids were in circle time singing songs, I witnessed him being told to stop fooling around! Danny was horrified that he wasn't paying attention! And although I don't want him being "that kid," I was happy he was being social as last year he was soooo shy.











First day last year


First day this year

5 comments:

Vicki Davis said...

WOW! AJ is so grown up looking! I love your book, is it like in Word? I would love a copy of it. I have thought of doing something like that, but I just do my spiel in person, ... Make Holly sign open, have her sit with you, make her ask for more, make her put the toys away before going to the next thing, sing the clean up song... I'm way to lazy to actually make a book with each toy, but how cool would that be! I am also really bad about the routines, she gets up, eat, naps, and does activities at different times every day, we just kind of go with it, or the calander, but I should try harder. I love all the pictures, we ave one of those bead toys and holly just learned how to actually play with it and move the beads around.

Jo said...

HI! When did Holly start walking? I just started that book last night. It only has 3 toys in it. Basically, I just took a pic of the toy...listed vocabulary to use with it and a brief description on how to play with it. It's super easy and yes, I did it in Word.

Routine for everything else? Yeah, that's nonexistent around here too. haha

Christy said...

Ok, number one, that picture of Pup and Henry cracked me up! I love Henry's face. And that you call him Hank the Tank. You totally inspired me to make Cale go through a tunnel at Little Gym class. It wasn't pretty. I pleaded with him for about 15 minutes and he finally, slowing crawled through crying the whole way like someone was poking him with a cattle prod. After he got through I was so excited you would have thought he just won the Noble Peace Prize!! Everyone's kid is hanging from bars, walking on the balance beam and I am just trying to get him to crawl through a tunnel. I hate it when people ask how old he is because if they don't know, at this point, he could maybe pass for a large 1 year old and he doesn't seem too far behind. Love the book, and yes that is the teacher in you!

ST said...

It's amazing how much AJ grew in a year! Cool pics. Quinn didn't start walking until he was 19.5 months old, and even after he could perform the feat, he wasn't very interested in it for a looong time. He still usually prefers his stroller when we are outside, though he is slowly getting better about walking a few blocks here and there.

Ms. George said...

What a lovely family! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I'd love to offer advice or lesson plans--whatever I can. Do you have an email as I don't publish my identity on my blog...