Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reflections

I read the most wonderful thing tonight in Sarah's fragile x blog. I will cut and paste it here and should probably ask her first, but I'll take my chances. Sarah is the mother of almost 3 and adorable Quinn, and is the author of the blog "Love and Survival with Fragile X."

"Quinn's diagnosis has opened up unexpected opportunities. To love, unconditionally, an adorable, happy little person. To see the delight on his face when he uses his hard-earned pointing abilities to ask for things and to show us doggies and trucks. To appreciate the miracle of human development. To meet (in real life and online) strong, smart, funny, wise, patient, inspiring people. To revisit high school genetics and biology lessons. To learn a new vocabulary. To reflect on our values. To experience deep gratitude for the people who have supported us. To join the movement for increased access to resources and opportunities for people with fragile x and other disabilities. To feel strong as a family, as a couple, and as individuals. We are probably not done grieving, but it's good to remember that we're still here, laughing, crying, loving, and being."

I just love this and cried when I read it tonight. It is very true that as terrible as it is to learn your child will not develop normally, there has been great joy in watching him grow and develop- no matter how slow it's been. I giggled at the part when she wrote that it is thrilling to watch her son's hard earned pointing abilities. It is skills like these that most parents have no idea are such big deals....but to us, they are everything. I'm yearning for the day when Pup can clap and bang two toys together. Every milestone Pup has met has been cause for great celebration in my home. I've enjoyed Pup's infancy much more than with AJ simply because I just took for granted that he would do everything on time and simply expected it. So when it happened I of course was happy, but I didn't feel like it was so exhilerating. Waiting for Pup's next big milestone has been exhausting but exciting at the same time. I, too, have deep gratitude for the people who devote their lives to helping kids like Pup and feel like my life has real purpose- to raise two beautiful boys and help them to reach their full potentials. I thank Sarah for writing the above as it reminded me that "life in Holland" is really beautiful. I am finally starting to notice the tulips.

With that, here are some pics I've taken in the past day or two.
I found the boys like this on the couch last night. They truly do love each other. Pup likes to chase AJ around the living room. He can't stop giggling as he crawls around after his big brother.

Here's Pup with his Ear Band-It on. It's to protect the tubes in his ears from getting wet when he's bathing or in the pool. The boys have started taking baths together.
The boys spent the day at my mom's today. When they go over to her house they usually play in the front yard with the kiddie pool or have a picnic on the front lawn. When I came to pick them up today, this is how I found Pup- taking a nap in the pool.
It's a little hard to see AJ here, but there he is with his swimming teacher, Katie, who he has had for the past 3 summers. This year she even emailed us to tell us she'd be back. Al has taken swimming lessons every day this summer for the whole summer. He is really growing confident in the water- despite the sometimes ridiculous whining. I don't fear him falling into a pool as he's been trained in water survival.

2 comments:

ST said...

Aw, thanks! Adorable pictures!

Vicki Davis said...

Pup is getting so big, I am amazed. Holly is 17 months this weekend, and although she can bang two items together, she still can't clap, point or wave bye bye, but there are so many things she learns it amazes me every day, and she is so determined and stubburn, borderline obsessive sometimes, and when she is mad it is so so cute! You sound like you guys are doing great.