Saturday, October 24, 2009

Walking, Sleeping, Pumpkins and Other Fun

Ok, I know I haven't posted the video of him walking yet, so I'll do that now as promised.....Weeks later he is FINALLY (as of today!) starting to walk across the room ON HIS OWN! So first steps at 16 months.....he just turned 17 months, but I'm calling it at 16 months. Woo Hoo! I have a walker.

So this video is of his VERY first steps and was taken about 3 weeks ago during his EI session. I've also bitten the bullet and am on day 3 of putting Pup in his crib (awake) to go to sleep. The first night was bad. Lot's of crying. I would go in there to hug him or rub his back but never picked him up. The second night was a little better. Still crying, but there definitely wasn't as much. Tonight he cried very briefly and fell asleep. Now- if only he stayed asleep all night! I for sure thought he wasn't going to bed because of a sensory problem or fragile x or something like that. I realize, however, it's simply because I wasn't making him go in his own room. I sometimes forget that he really is JUST a baby, too, but it's getting easier. Now that he's walking more, and I see him bouncing in the bounce house at the pumpkin patch I realize he is just a happy kid.

We've had a busy past two months. Lots of trips to the local pumpkin patch and a trip to the Apple Festival in Oak Glenn. We also took Pup for his very first haircut today. He slept right through it. Here are some pics.

Pumpkin Patch


We've made quite a few trips to our local pumpkin patch this month. Here are some pics of the trip with my sisters, nephew, brother, and mom. We've also gone with Danny's mom and sister as well as our good friends the Worfords.



The cutest in the patch! Pup, Bubs, and AJ!
Uncle Gennaro and AJ- I was completely shocked he wanted to go on this ride. He went by himself twice and then once with my brother. I remember when he was afraid to go on anything. He wouldn't even go in the bounce house by himself. He's so grown up now.

At the Apple Festival at Oak Glen. We went with Grandma Bebon and Aunt Kelly, but I realize I didn't get any pics with them!

Our local pumpkin patch has a bounce house/maze thing that Pup LOVES. He loves to bounce and go down the slide. He shows no fear at all. Here's Danny with Pup in said house. The pic below is of Pup and Baby Worf.
I remember when AJ was little, he would NEVER get into one of these by himself. Pup is so different, and as my brother said.....at least we know he's advanced in the "having fun" department.



In other fall events......

AJ, Danny, and Pop went to the Dodger game.
I love this pic of Danny and AJ.


We went to our town's carnival. AJ wanted to go on every ride.
We found this great children's museum in Irvine called Pretend City. It's literally a pretend city, and there are many areas for dramatic play. There's a grocery store, a bank, a fire station, a fake beach, and even fake ATM machines that spit out play money.

Here's AJ in Pretend City pretending to be the cashier at a grocery store (It's actually a miniature Ralphs), and being a construction worker
.

Here, he is acting as waiter in a pretend Thai restaurant. Very exotic for a children's museum.

AJ has been taking piano lesson since January and is getting really good. Pup LOVES to be at the piano with him.

My good friend Tracy took this picture when we went to the mall. I think Pup looks so sweet in it. He showed no hesitation in wanting to crawl through the tunnel.

And in big news...we got Pup his first pair of shoes.

2 comments:

Vicki Davis said...

What a great post and update, I love all the Pumpkin Patch pictures, and that Pretend City is awesome. We have some simular things but not so elabrate, if i am ever down that way I will have to check itout. We have started to seriously consider a toddler bed for Holly so she will sleep by herself, I think I mentioned the vomiting upon crying and climbing out before, I wish it was as easy for us as living through three days, But alas I think a toddler bed will make a huge difference. You mentioned pup likes the bouncy house, so does Holly, it is a great proproceptive input. But she doesn;t jump or bounce really, she walks and runs, and then is passivly bounced if there are other kids inside it. Since Pup has only been walking three weeks, I was curious if he is already bouncing/jumpking. We have been working with Holly ont hat skill for 6 months, and she just started to "bounce" on a little seated cusion, but a jump seems so long away still. Pup and AJ are getting so big just from when i started reading your posts, its amazing.

Jo said...

Hey Vicki!

Thanks for your comment. No, Pup doesn't bounce or jump. He stays on his knees and rocks or is bounced by my husband! Don't worry about the jumping. My older, not affected son didn't jump until he was over two! We have no idea why. He was a very cautious kid and couldn't figure it out. He's all over the place now. When he was Pup's age he wouldn't even go in the bounce house. It's amazing how different kids are- fragile x or not.