Wednesday, November 12, 2008

6 month well baby

Today was Pup's doc appt. He got his first flu shot. You'd never know he got four shots. No fussing at all. Dr. K. said that Pup is having some gaze aversion so I need to be "in his face" and rewarding him with smiles when he looks at me. This makes me so sad as in many ways I'm still in denial. He seems so perfectly normal..............He will also have to watch his ears as the right one is blocked. I'm hoping he doesn't need tubes.

DH and I both got to pick up AJ from preschool yesterday. We watched him through the observation room and saw him in the kitchen area wearing a necklace and bracelet. Then he went to string some beads. He's so funny to watch. The teacher says he loves school and seems very happy. He's still a bit shy, however, and doesn't really know how to approach the other kids when he wants to get into their activities. He'll ask, "What can I do?" to the teacher, and she has to help him join in. I love them both so much.

5 comments:

Vicki Davis said...

By all means listen to your Dr. But when we went to see Dr. hagerman she told us this about Holly as well, however we thought it was absolutely not true, We thought Holly made great eye contact, as did her OT, IDS, and PT... But the pediatrician Agreed. So we started watching this and discovered two things....

1. Over Stimulation, Dr. hagerman and the pediatrician got into Holly;s face.. If someone got into your face, would you not look away.. i personally don;t like people in my face.

2. She doesn;t know them, she only met then 2-3 time in her short life of 6 months.

So we started watching and trying to keep and make eye contact with Holly, and discovered when you were a comfortable distance away from her, it worked, she would look you in the eye, and she would watch you.. Then slowly we would get closer to her and hold the eye contact.

So by all means, things could be different with Pup.... But try it, get his eye contact froma distance, and move in slowly and keep his gaze, if you just right in with getting into his face, it might turn his off, sometimes Holly still looks away when i get into her face, but an arm length or two away she is fine locking eyes with me... At our next pedi visit, I aske dthe doctor to check from a few feet away, and low and behold, she kept eyecontact...

Good Luck.

Great to hear pup did so well with the 4 shots.

Anonymous said...

Matty is 12 and hates people in his face too. he will make eye contact once he gets to know them.

Leanne said...

Hi - just found your blog. I love the title, and Pup sounds like a great kid. We have 2 X-traordinary kiddos. :)

ST said...

Hi,
Nice to "meet" you and see your blog! Are you in the SF Bay Area? If so, maybe you, Vicki, and I can all get together sometime. Anyway, another data point - Dr. H at the MIND was also concerned about our kiddo's gaze aversion, but he only met her once, at 4 PM after a looong day at the MIND (we'd been there since 8:30!) so we're not too worried. And I don't like it when strangers come in close and try to get me to make eye contact either!

Jo said...

Hi Ladies!
I wasn't aware anyone was making comments! I'm so happy you're all reading. It's nice to know there are other moms out there.